Official Military Personnel Files 

A former Marine may request a copy of his/her records directly from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by writing: 


National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
Telephone: 314-801-0800
Fax: 314-801-9195

If an administrative error is contained in a former Marine's records, such as a misspelled name, digits of a social security number have been incorrectly typed, etc., he/she may write directly to the agency that holds their records for correction.  If it is found that NPRC does not possess the records, the constituent can then write to the following address for correction:


Headquarters, United States Marine Corps (MMSB)
2008 Elliott Road
Quantico, VA 22134-5103

Medical Records 

All medical records regarding discharges that occurred after 1994 are located at the local Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA).  Contact information for the DVA is located in the blue pages of the phone book.  If by chance the constituent is unable to locate this contact information, they can call the DVA's Congressional Liaison Service at (202) 225-2280 to obtain this information.

All medical records corresponding to discharges that occurred prior to 1994 are archived with the constituent's Service Record Book at the National Personnel Records Center.  They may contact this agency to request their medical records by writing to:


National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records (USMC)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132

It is important to note that only one copy of medical records exists.  Medical records cannot be ordered through separate agencies for this reason.

DD Form 214

Any former Marines who are released prior to 1999 wanting copies of their service records or DD Form 214 or any other service record documents must write to the following address: 

Navy Personnel Command Pers-312D2
Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63132
Tele:  314-592-1150, 4009, 4085, or 4086

Marines requesting a copy of their service record, DD 214 or any other documents who were discharged from the Marine Corps after 1999 must write to MMSB at the following address:

Headquarters US Marine Corps
Manpower Management Support Branch (MMSB-10)
2008 Elliot Road, Suite 205
Quantico, VA 22134-5030
Tele: 1-800-268-3710

Marines wanting a copy of their medical records must write to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Records Management Center
P.O. Box 5020
St. Louis, MO 63155 
Tele: 314-538-4500

1950 to current - DD Form 214

1945-1949 - NAVMC 78PD

Prior to 1945 - Only a letter given to the Marine signifying service

Headquarters Marine Corps