3/11 remembers fallen warrior

16 Aug 2006 | Lance Cpl. Katelyn A. Knauer

Family, friends, and fellow Marines gathered at a memorial service in honor of Sgt. Stephen Carpenter, motor transportation, Kilo Battery, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines, at the Combat Center’s Protestant Chapel Aug. 16. Carpenter was born February 1, 1980, in Sacramento, Calif., and lost his life July 31 after a jet skiing incident. "Carpenter, his wife Tracy, and a friend all went out to Lake Elsinore on July 30 to go jet skiing," said Capt. Michael K. McAlinden, battalion fire direction officer and the investigating officer. "Carpenter took his turn on the Jet Ski and was found a little while later face down in the water by another boater. He was then transported to Inland Valley Medical Center where he passed away the next morning."Marines who knew Carpenter, either through work or as a close friend packed the chapel to honor what many called a highly respected Marine."As a Marine, Carpenter was motivated,” said Sgt. Jonathan Harlan, operations assistance. "He didn’t get intimidated by anyone. He was heavy with the troops and he was all about mission accomplishment. He was there to take care of his Marines."Carpenter, who carried heavy responsibilities, was a Marine his superiors knew they could look to get the job done."He served as a platoon sergeant for Headquarters, a licensing noncommissioned officer for the battalion, and he did dispatch. Basically Carpenter did everything,” said Master Sgt. Christopher Tuttle, battalion truck master. "He was in Operation Iraqi Freedom one and two, and just returned from a unit deployment in Okinawa with 3/11, Kilo Battery. He was probably one of the most energetic guys I have ever met. He was a good guy."After the invocation and scripture readings, a picture slideshow in honor of Carpenter was played along with a video of him skydiving. Many Marines shared the same opinion of Carpenter, who was remembered as a good friend and Marine. "He was a very persistent, motivated and energetic guy," said Sgt. Brian Lawless, Headquarters Battery platoon sergeant.At the end of the ceremony, 1st Sgt. Kenneth Cameron stood at attention and took roll call noting Sgt. Stephen Carpenter’s absence. The Chapel was then called to attention as Taps was played. Following the ceremony, Marines were given the chance to talk to Carpenter’s wife, Tracy, and tell her of the memories that bonded them and her husband."My fondest memories are times I spent with him at Super Bowl parties I hosted," said Tuttle. "Everyone would come out, including his wife, Tracy.""Carpenter was an outspoken kid," said Harlan. "He wasn’t afraid to speak out if something wasn’t right." Carpenter is survived by his wife and his parents, Michael Carpenter and Kawaleen Ivey.
Headquarters Marine Corps