Banner Icon could not be loaded.

Headquarters Marine Corps

A statement from the Mundy family

By Courtesy Story | Headquarters Marine Corps | April 05, 2014

WASHINGTON -- Nine months ago the Mundy family experienced the loss of our beloved mother, Linda.  Last Wednesday our father, retired Gen. Carl E. Mundy, Jr, followed her.  While a distinguished Marine and public figure, Gen. Mundy was first and foremost a loving father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

Sadly, several months ago he was afflicted by Merkel Cell Carcinoma, a rare and very aggressive form of cancer that proved too resistant to overcome.  In his final days, he drew comfort from, and expressed heartfelt gratitude for, the hundreds who called and sent a steady stream of cards, letters, and emails.  When he was no longer able to do so, we read to him these thoughts, prayers, and special anecdotes as joyous reminders of the people in his life.  We would like everyone to know that in confronting death, he modeled the courage, grace, charm and effortless sense of humor that characterized his life.

His children cannot thank everyone enough for the heartfelt support they have received over the past year, especially in these last several weeks.  The thoughts and prayers of so many have sustained the entire Mundy family as we faced our father's final challenge together.

While we appreciate that there may be further media interest regarding our father, this is the Mundy family's only public statement.  We sincerely request that you respect our privacy and allow us to deal with this difficult time in solitude.

16 Comments

• Rev. Steve Conner 111 days ago
    Semper Fi Sir. Condolences to the family may you all find peace and joy in your memories.
  • Ann Sarkes, RN 115 days ago
    As a neighbor to 8th and I Marine Corp, I was privileged to meet General and Mrs. Mundy in 1990 and then occasionally over the years exchange holiday cards with them. On a personal level, they were both genuinely caring and kind individuals, welcoming all around them into their life and home. They had three children at the time I knew them, little Sam, Tim, and daughter Elizabeth. The Mundys were first and foremost a strong and loving family unit, and both often stated that they considered all the Marines and personnel at 8th and I their family.

My heart is heavy and I am sad, to know they have passed on.

My love and prayers to the Mundy family.

With Love,
    Ann Sarkes
    neighbor, 8th and I Neighborhood
    asarkesRN@yahoo.com
  • Craig E. Stephens, LtCol, USMC (ret) 115 days ago
    Semper Fidelis, Gen Mundy. You led us well and deserved our respect.
  • MSgt Demetrius Crofts 115 days ago
    I aboard ship as a Cpl in 1992 when Commandant Mundy visited our ship, the USS WASP during a deployment. I reenlisted aboard the ship that day and have the pictures with the commandant as my reenlisting officer. It was a moment that I will never forget. Godspeed, sir.
  • SPHINX 115 days ago
    Medical Miracles do happen.

Either by human hand or otherwise.

I'm so sorry that many slip through my fingers.

I promise to share my extensive medical knowledge and gifts more...

It's not that I don't want to... but I hardly have time for it given my multi-tasking management each day.

Have to prioritize...

I'm saddened by each medical loss cause they die before their natural time...
  • Derek Wood 116 days ago
    I am sorry for your loss. General Mundy was the Commandant when I first entered active duty. He was a great Marine.
  • MSgt Stepehn G, Hill USMC (ret) 116 days ago
    My better half, Holly is Corporate Controller for Celgene Corporation which manufactures cancer treatment drugs.
    Today they were PRESIDENTIAL sponsors for a 5K here in Phoenix, AZ.
    Although not a registered participant, I accompanied Holly to the event and completed it in honor of General Mundy.
    God Bless "OUR" General and our 30th Commandant and may he and his Lady Rest in Peace.
  • 1st Sgt L R Long 116 days ago
    Rest in peace General. You served your Country and your Corps well. Fair winds and following seas.
  • MGySgt. Al Pearson, USMC, Retired 116 days ago
    I met then LtCo. Mandy at Quantico, Va in the early 1970s. He approached me, extended his hand and said, good morning Master Sgt. As it turned out we both had served with 3/26 Marine Regiment during The Battle for Kh Sanh. He was so personable, polite and Marine. RIP General CMC Mundy.

Sempervivum Fidelis,

Al Pearson
  • Omundson 116 days ago
    We found him to be an awesome friend . We are honored to have known General Mundy, his wife Linda, and the entire family are folks who care about the people they chance to meet.
  • Kelly Hirz 116 days ago
    God Bless you all! Your wonderful father took the time to visit my injured Marine son Casey Allison, at Walter Reed in February. The vile of sand and certificate meant the world to Casey! I shared a walk in the hall of Walter Reed with your father and he assured me Casey was going to be ok! Prayers of comfort and peace go out to you all! Semper Fi!
    Kelly Hirz
  • Joe Jennings 117 days ago
    I was then-COL Mundy's S-3 when he had 2nd Marines. My wife, Betsy, and I are very sorry to hear of his and Linda's passing. They were both wonderful people who were always kind and gracious to us. They will be missed by all who knew them.
    Semper Fidelis