|The MTBP System was developed to allow DoD federal employees and military members in the National Capital Region (NCR) the ability to apply for federally subsidized mass transportation benefits.
In January 2013, the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (H.R.8) temporarily raised the transit benefit statutory limit to $245 per month. This new amount was not intended to be permanent and expires at the end of 2013.
Unless a new statutory limit is approved by Congress, the statutory limit will decrease to $130 per month starting January 1, 2014. Source: IRS Revenue Procedures (rp-13-35).
Congress may still act to extend the limit above $130, but at this time agencies must proceed with what the law states as the maximum tax exempt mass transit subsidy limit. Any updates will be posted at the MTBP website ( http://www.whs.mil/MTBP/ )
This user guide is intended for DoD employees who want to enroll, recertify, change or withdraw from the Mass Transportation Benefit Program using the web based system.
All military members and civilian employees who have a Common Access Card (CAC) and access to a DoD CAC-enabled system are required to use this system to apply and participate in the Mass Transportation Benefit Program.
The MTBP links directly to the WMATA SmartTrip card program. You must obtain and register Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) (Metro) SmarTrip® card prior to enrolling in MTBP. The card must be registered with the same first and last name as your Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card (CAC).
Click on the buttons to your right to access the various aspects of the MTBP System:
- To see if your chosen mode of transportation is covered by the MTBP System, click on "MTBP Services" to find the transportation method and how your MTBP benefit is applied
- Begin with the "MTBP Tutorial" to step through the process
- Use "SmarTrip Locations to find where to purchase a WMATA SmarTrip card
- If you have not done so, register your SmarTrip card at "SmarTrip Registration"
- You can apply for MTBP System benefits (or submit your monthly MTBP benefits claim) using "MTBP Application & Claims"
- For a complete downloadable Users Guide to the MTBP System benefits, click on "MTBP User Guide"