Banner Icon could not be loaded.

Headquarters Marine Corps

Honor the Fallen: Gen. Carl E. Mundy Jr.

By Courtesy Story | Headquarters Marine Corps | April 03, 2014

WASHINGTON -- A statement from the 35th Commandant of the Marine Corps General James F. Amos:

With the passing of General Carl E. Mundy Jr., America has lost a valiant warrior, a dedicated public servant, and a good and decent man.  He served with honor and distinction through more than four decades of devotion to country and Corps.

Over the course of his 38-year active duty career, he rose to the grade of general and served as the 30th Commandant of the Marine Corps, from July 1, 1991 through June 30, 1995.  During his distinguished career, Gen Mundy commanded at all levels.  From 1966-67, Gen Mundy participated in combat operations in Vietnam as operations and executive officer of the 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, and as an intelligence officer in Headquarters, III Marine Amphibious Force.

Following his retirement from active duty in 1995, Gen Mundy continued to support service members and their families as president and chief executive officer of the United Services Organization.  He also served as Chairman and Chairman Emeritus of the Marine Corps University Foundation.

All Marines mourn his passing but celebrate his lasting legacy of service and leadership.

Gen Mundy was a devoted husband and father who was preceded in his death by his wife, Linda, last summer.   Bonnie and I offer our deepest condolences to his family.

Media queries can be directed to ontherecord@usmc.mil.

15 Comments

• Frank De Napoli SSgt, USMC (Ret) 158 days ago
    I served at HQMC when the General was the head of Plans & Operations (POC). He was one hell of an Officer He was the epitome of "an Officer and a Gentleman". I think the only person that worried him was Mrs. Blackmon (his Office Administrator!)He would come into the Command Center to "hide" from her. I'll bet the Marines "guarding Heavens Gates" snapped to when he arrived! It was a pleasure and an HONOR serving under you at HQMC...Rest in Peace General Mundy.
  • CDR W.M. Dinkins, CHC, USN (Ret) 184 days ago
    I am certainly saddened to hear of his passing. General Mundy was an "Awesome" CG, and as great a Leader of the Marine Corps as ever a Warrior could be. He was never afraid to speak his mind on important issues that impacted all hands with dignity, grace, intelligence, and great compassion to all his sailors and Marines within the FMF, from Sea to shining Sea.
    My prayers go out to his family
    (II Timothy 1:7)
  • Mary Lou Austin 197 days ago
    A true Officer and a gentleman, I was proud to have served with served with him at USO.
    Always for the troops.
    MLA
  • Earl R. Allen, Major USMC (Retired) 201 days ago
    Fellow Auburn graduate June 1957, Fellow Basic School graduate February 1958, Naval Aviator.
    Condolences to all the family from Earl And Barbara Allen, Opelika, Alabama.
  • Dennis Bolde 202 days ago
    Gen. Mundy - had the pleasure of serving as a Marine under you. Our thoughts and prayers are with the General and his Family.
  • sheila mason black 203 days ago
    Truly an honor to have been a neighbor at TGO in Titusville FL. Carl has been an extordinary gentlman and served his country and mankind to the utmost. We will sincerely miss Carl and Linda in our neighborhood
  • Captain Tony Shaw 203 days ago
    Then Capt. Carl Mundy was my Officer Selection Officer when I was a Pfc. in 2nd ANGLICO. We were both at Khe Sanh during the same time and 30 years later we were together on a Military Historical Tour to Vietnam. He was indeed a superb Marine, excellent CMC, and a true gentleman. Semper Fi, General! May you rest in peace.
  • Fred Stoki 203 days ago
    RIP Sir
  • Fred Stoki 203 days ago
    Rip Sir
  • John H 203 days ago
    I would not lay claim to "knowing" the General, but that is normal for a Lance Corporal enlisted in the Marine Corps.
    I can say that I had a face to face encounter that changed my opinion of Officers.
    It was before 0500 hours one morning in 1991 and this Lance Corporal was standing post at Marine Barracks 8th & I in Washington DC. Through the doors came a seasoned gentleman wearing green pt sweat top and bottoms.
    The gentleman attempted to pass when I issued verbal command to stop and identify. The gentleman retrieved his military id tucked in his sweat bottoms.
    One can imagine not only my surprise but instant horror when I saw the title General on the plastic card. I immediately locked my body and snapped a salute, followed by a weak apology for not knowing the new Commandant of the Marine Corps.
    General Mundy returned the salute and followed with a firm handshake telling the young Lanc Corporal " No need for an apology, it's good to see my Marines are doing their job".
    I figured I would catch grief at some point from those in my command, but never heard another word about the incident.
    This was not the normal behavior I had encountered when dealing with Officers while on post. I found a great level of respect for not just the rank but the man.
    God bless General Mundy, my thoughts and prayers are with his family.
  • Lieutenant Commander Arthur Slagle, Chaplain Corps, Retired 203 days ago
    I had numerous opportunities to meet the General and he stands at the top of the list of the finest of Marine Corps leaders. I last saw the General at a Military Order of the Purple Hearts meeting in NC. The General just returned from his sons promotion to the General ranks. He will long be remembered in my prayers.
  • Chaplain S S Brown 203 days ago
    RIP. Sorry to hear of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, the Corps.
  • Judy & Bob Willeke 203 days ago
    General Mundy was an owner of a RV Port in The Great Outdoors in Florida. He was always an example of discipline and kindness. He will be missed by a lot of people. Prayers go out to his family
  • Maj Dave Funkhouser, USMC (Ret) 203 days ago
    Semper Fidelis, sir. Thanks for your service and the inspiring life you lived.
  • Marvin Haines Jr 203 days ago
    We have lost a true warrior. He will be missed and his legacy will live. I extend my thoughts and prayers to his family. Rest in General Mundy Jr.

Semper Fi,